Optimising Your TikTok Profile: Best Practices for Captivating and Converting Users
With over 1 billion monthly active users, TikTok is a great place to reach and engage with your audience in a fun and entertaining way. The platform also offers fantastic organic reach, helping you grow your account without the need for huge ad spending.
But simply posting on TikTok isn’t enough. Smart users know that all aspects of their TikTok account need to be optimised for engagement and growth.
This article explains exactly how to optimise your TikTok profile to captivate and convert your audience.
“A picture is worth a thousand words”
Your profile picture will tell visitors to your profile a lot about who you are and what your page is all about. Here are some tips for a great profile picture:
- Use a picture of your face (if you are a person) or a logo (if you are a brand)
- Ensure your image is of high quality and clear
- Develop consistency and benefit from recognition by using the same profile picture across all social platforms
- Express yourself and your ‘brand’ (for example, use bright colours if you have an energetic/positive personality)
- Avoid clutter, aim for clarity and avoid busy backgrounds
Your username will tell potential followers a lot about who you are. An easy-to-remember username will also make it easy for people to share your content with their network. Here are some tips for nailing your username:
- Keep it short, snappy and memorable
- Use the same username across all social media platforms (where possible)
- Avoid numbers where possible
- Avoid periods and underscores where possible
- Tell people something about your content (for example, if your name is Tom and you publish content about gardening, you may go for something like ‘@tomlovesgardening’)
A great username and profile picture will attract people to your profile. But it is your bio that will give them the extra detail they need to decide whether you offer the type of content they want to digest.
Here are your go-to tips for writing a great bio:
- Keep it short and to the point
- Tell people what to expect if they follow your TikTok account such as the types of content you post and the topics you post about
- Add emojis for a splash of colour and to better illustrate your point
- Make it fun
- Include a strong call to action
- Where applicable, include a link that is relevant to your profile
Content Themes and Consistency
Taking the time to define your content themes can help you better appeal to your target audience.
For example, when someone visits your profile and scrolls through your content only to find many random, mismatched themes it is unlikely to appeal to them. On the other hand, if they scroll through to find loads of great content on one theme they are highly interested in – it makes it easy for them to follow you.
So, take time to assess what your account is all about. Ensure that you stay consistent with your themes, regularly publishing content that is about or closely related to them.
Optimising Your TikTok Profile: Summary
It is clear that optimising your TikTok profile is a smart move for those looking to build engagement with their target audience. You can use the tips outlined in this guide to help create a high-performing TikTok profile.
What are you waiting for? Start making your profile updates today.